The original Hutschenreuther porcelain company was opened in 1814. Carolus Magnus Hutschenreuther wanted to open the first privately owned porcelain factory in Germany. He began looking for an ideal location in Bavaria. After a lengthy search, he decided upon a plot of land in the Bavarian town of Hohenburg. There, he built the first Hutschenreuther factory. To enhance the quality of his product, Carolus solicited artists, craftsmen, and sculptors from across the European continent. Primarily focusing on quality and design, Hutschenreuther grew into a competitive firm that produced dinnerware services ideal for fine dining.
In 1857, Carolus’ son, Lorenz Hutschenreuther opened another porcelain producing facility in the town of Selb. Lorenz marketed his dinnerware services aggressively. Hutschenreuther in Selb became the more notable name as a result of its business savvy managers. Hutschenreuther of Selb became the first German firm to be able to compete with such companies as
Wedgwood. Lorenz had not partnered with his father and the two companies would remain fully independent and in open competition with each other for more than a century.
In 1917, Hutschenreuther of Selb began producing figurines by purchasing the art division of Paul Muller. Hutschenreuther’s managing director, Emil Mundel, was the driving force behind the acquisition of Muller’s assets. After acquiring sculptors and skilled laborers, Hutschenreuther began soliciting its designs for its sculptures and dinnerware from the Selb Technical School of Porcelain. By 1926, the art division of the company had won wide acclaim and its porcelain figurines were highly sought after.
Hutschenreuther of Selb continued to grow by buying the assets of competing factories throughout Germany. In 1909, Hutschenreuther purchased Altrohlau. Later the company would purchase Arzburg and Tirschenreuth. Hutschenreuther produced many of its most famous patterns throughout the first half of the 21st century, including
Blue Onion (1930) and
Maple Leaf (1940).
By 1969, the company expanded to include several more factories. During that same year, the assets of the Carolus Magnus Hutschenreuther’s 1814 company were purchased by Hutschenreuther of Selb. After more than a century of competition, the two companies became one. The newly united company continued producing porcelain figurines and fine bone chine. Today, the company uses the lion and circle as their trademark and continues to produce
© 2016 Replacements, Ltd. All rights reserved.