This week, we’re featuring one of America’s most beloved patterns: Apple by Franciscan. First introduced in 1940, this beautiful earthenware pattern features hand-painted pieces that reflect the beauty of California’s apple orchards. When California-based Franciscan tableware premiered in 1934, it was practically an overnight success. The glamour of the emerging film industry and the state's climate seemed exotic to Midwesterners and those living on the East Coast. The "Golden State" became a very popular tourist destination. And Franciscan's bright-colored, less expensive "earthenware" grew in popularity as American consumers began to recover from the Great Depression. Along with Apple, the company's now-legendary line of hand-painted, raised-pattern designs also includes Desert Rose, Fresh Fruit, and Ivy.
Fostoria Argus-Clear is pressed glass with a concave bowl that flares at the top, and thumbprint panels. The multisided stem echoes the shape of the bowl, and the foot is round. With its eye-catching shape, this pattern perfectly complements the Apple china and First Love flatware featured here. Founded in Fostoria, Ohio, in 1887, the Fostoria company relocated to Moundsville, WV, shortly thereafter, because of that region’s abundant natural resources. After meeting decades of stiff foreign competition with classic designs and innovative glass-making methods, Fostoria operations were shut down by its parent company, Lancaster Colony, in 1983. Fostoria glass is highly sought-after by collectors today.
Produced from 1937 to 1973, International Silver First Love
is an enchanting silverplate flatware pattern that incorporates floral, dot, and plume design elements on a streamlined handle. International Silver started as a combination of America’s greatest silver manufacturers. During the American Colonial period, New England was home to many artisans producing high-quality pewter, sterling, and silverplate, primarily in Connecticut. Around 1808, Ashbil Griswold opened a pewter shop in Meriden, Connecticut. Through mergers with regional companies, Griswold’s original shop grew to comprise fourteen silver manufacturers, including Holmes and Edwards (Bridgeport), Meriden Britannia (Meriden), and Rogers Brothers (Hartford). In 1898, the International Silver Company became truly “international,” establishing offices in England and Canada. Throughout the years, International Silver products have remained immensely popular.
To browse and order in a great selection of china, crystal, and silverplate pieces, start at these links!