Botanic Garden is rimmed, round china with a multi-motif floral design and brightly colored butterflies, bees, or dragonflies at the center. At the bottom of the design is the Latin botanical name and English common name of each featured floral design. A verdant, geometrical leaf design is painted on the rim. The pattern offers a spectacular array of choices, not only in the floral designs, but also in the shapes and sizes of the china! Depicted here is
Clematis Florida, “Virgin’s Bower.” Portmeirion artist Susan Ellis-Williams came up with the multi-motif idea for
Botanic Garden in 1972, when she was looking through rare books at an antiquarian shop. A volume of old, beautifully colored, meticulously drawn illustrations called out to her. The launch of
Botanic Garden included 28 different flower types and was an immediate success!
A knobbed, multi-sided stem, concave bowl that flares at the top, and gold trim enhances the criss-cross, fan, and floral cuts of
Wellesley Gold crystal. The pattern beautifully represents the production excellence for which Royal Doulton has become world renowned. Founded as Doulton and Watts in Lambeth, England, in 1815, the company produced both household and industrial ceramics. John Doulton’s sons, who had joined their father in the business, eventually formed companies of their own. But turmoil in the British financial markets forced the businesses to dissolve. In 1853, they reformed as Doulton and Co. (In 1901, King Edward VII conferred a Royal Warrant upon Doulton and Co. to honor the company’s production of ceramic vessels that successfully filtered pollutants from the water of the Thames River, London’s primary source for drinking water.)
First produced in 1951,
Old Charleston is an alluring sterling flatware pattern with an elegant floral motif, a scalloped tip, and a glossy finish. International Silver started as a combination of America's greatest silver manufacturers. During the American Colonial period, New England was home to many artisans producing high-quality pewter, sterling, and silverplate, primarily in Connecticut. Around 1808, Ashbile Griswold opened a pewter shop in Meriden, Connecticut. Through mergers with regional companies, Griswold's original shop grew to comprise fourteen silver manufacturers, including Holmes and Edwards (Bridgeport), Meriden Britannia (Meriden), and Rogers Brothers (Hartford). In 1898, the International Silver Company became truly "international," establishing offices in England and Canada. Throughout the years, International Silver products have remained immensely popular.
To browse and order in a great selection of china, crystal, and sterling pieces, start at these links!