Moss Rose by Rosenthal/Continental is rimmed, scallop-shaped (Pompadour) ivory china with asymmetrical sprays of roses scattered on the center and rim which spill onto the verge, and an embossed edge with gold trim. Phillip Rosenthal began his business in 1884 by purchasing white ware and applying designs hand-painted by his wife Maria, then selling them door to door. In 1891, he established a factory in Asch, Bohemia and began production of white ware for use in his workshop. From 1897 to 1936, Rosenthal acquired several factories in Germany, and the popularity of patterns like Moss Rose helped the business grow rapidly; by WWII, Rosenthal employed over 5,000 people. When WWII ended, Rosenthal’s son, Phillip, returned to Germany where he modernized out of date factories and reestablished lost markets. Phillip quickly rebuilt the business by reaching new customers interested in the modern shapes and artistry of his dinnerware. To this day, Rosenthal continues to work with leaders in fashion and design to create unique and striking tabletop designs.
Rosenthal Crystal Moss Rose is a blown glass design, with a concave bowl, a flared top, a knobbed, cut stem, and a round foot. With a larger embossed gray cut of the Moss Rose pattern and smaller embossed rose sprays around the bowl, this crystal works perfectly with the Moss Rose china. While the rose is native to Asia, where the earliest china was produced, it was not often seen in early tableware designs in China or Japan. The flower has a long history as a symbol – the Greeks identified the flower with their goddess of love, Aphrodite, as did the Romans with Venus. The rose grew in popularity in the 19th century, when varieties of perpetual blooming roses were brought from Asia to Europe and England. This botanical development, combined with advances in the production of tableware in England, led to an influx of rose-patterned china available to the rapidly growing English middle class, and roses have been a popular tableware motif ever since.
Produced from 1949 to 2003, Memory Lane is a gorgeous sterling pattern by Lunt Silver. Memory Lane features a beautiful floral design that adorns a handle with a scrolled edge. The floral design elements of Memory Lane make it the perfect flatware accompaniment for the Moss Rose china and crystal patterns above. Lunt was founded as the A. F. Towle & Son Mfg. Co. in 1880 in Newburyport, MA. Towle and his son left the company and built a new factory in Newburyport under the name A.F. Towle & Son Company. After moving to Greenfield, MA, in 1890, the firm went into automobile manufacturing and produced one of the first “horseless carriages” in America. Lack of financing caused the endeavor to fail, and George C. Lunt, who had been apprenticed to Towle, established Rogers, Lunt & Bowlen Company in 1902. Since 1935, the company has used the trade name Lunt Silversmiths. The company’s Embassy Scroll pattern has been selected by the U.S. government as the official tableware for all U.S. consulates and embassies.
To browse and order in a great selection of china, crystal, and sterling pieces, start at these links!