Hutschenreuther Blue Onion is rimmed, scallop-shaped white china featuring an intricate floral design rendered in a stunning blue color. The “Blue Onion” (or “Zwiebelmuster”) pattern first appeared on tableware in Meissen, Germany around 1735. This popular motif likely derives from a similar Chinese pattern (the “onions” in the design are believed to be permutations of the pomegranates, peaches, and plums featured in the original design). The first privately owned porcelain factory in Bavaria, Hutschenreuther was founded in 1814 by Carolus Magnus Hutschenreuther. To enhance the quality of his product, Carolus solicited artists, craftsmen, and sculptors from across the European continent. Primarily focusing on quality and design, Hutschenreuther grew into a competitive firm that produced dinnerware services ideal for fine dining. In addition to Blue Onion, Hutschenreuther produced many other famous patterns throughout the first half of the twenty-first century, including Racine , Richelieu , and Maple Leaf .
With vertical, thumbprint, and crisscross cuts that show clear against the brilliant cobalt blue of the bowl, a multi-sided stem, and round foot with starburst cuts, Clarendon-Cobalt crystal by Waterford is an exquisite pattern. With its elaborate, eye-catching design, Clarendon-Cobalt is an especially fine accompaniment to Blue Onion china and American Victorian flatware. Waterford Crystal dates back to the Flint Glass Works, founded in 1783 on the quay in the port town of Waterford when George and William Penrose opened the Flint Glass Works. In 1788, Waterford produced a glassware service as a gift to her Majesty, Charlotte Sophia, wife to King George III. The King and Queen were so charmed by the crystal service that they ordered the set to be displayed at Cheltenham castle. Today “Waterford” is synonymous with fine crystal, and is found in households around the world.
Introduced in 1941, Lunt Silver American Victorian is scallop-shaped sterling with magnificent scroll and floral designs. Lunt was founded as the A. F. Towle & Son Mfg. Co. in 1880 in Newburyport, MA. Towle and his son left the company and built a new factory in Newburyport under the name A.F. Towle & Son Company. After moving to Greenfield, MA, in 1890, the firm went into automobile manufacturing and produced one of the first “horseless carriages” in America. Lack of financing caused the endeavor to fail, and George C. Lunt, who had been apprenticed to Towle, established Rogers, Lunt & Bowlen Company in 1902. Since 1935, the company has used the trade name Lunt Silversmiths. The company’s Embassy Scroll pattern has been selected by the U.S. government as the official tableware for all U.S. consulates and embassies.
To browse and order in a great selection of china, crystal, and sterling pieces, start at these links!