First produced in 1951, Delaware (New York) by Haviland is scalloped-rimmed, cream-colored china with delicate, beautifully rendered roses decorating the center and rim, and an embossed edge with gold trim. The story of Haviland China begins in 1841, when David Haviland of D.G. & D. Haviland Trading Co., New York, embarked with his wife, Mary, and son, Charles, for France. Their destination was Limoges, a city 200 miles southeast of Paris, world-renowned for its production of fine porcelain. The region was rich in kaolin, cream-colored clay that yielded superior porcelain. Haviland, intent on producing the world’s finest china, obtained permits from the French government to build a state-of-the-art china factory in 1853. Haviland refused to send his pottery to Paris for decoration as most other potters did at the time; instead, he decorated his own creations. Within two years, Haviland’s keen business sense and ingenuity had aided him in establishing one of the most advanced china producing facilities of its time.
Elaine-Clear crystal by Cambridge flares at the top, with a graceful, cascading floral design etched on the concave bowl. The stem of the glass is ornate, with a textured, molded design, and a round foot. This shapely, intricate pattern is the epitome of elegance! The Cambridge Glass Company was founded in 1873, when a group of businessmen from the town of Cambridge, Ohio chartered a glass producing facility. Most of the company’s early designs were heavy, pressed-glass patterns. The company achieved steady growth during the early part of the twentieth century, and during the 1920s, 30s, and 40s the company released its most successful shapes, colors, and etchings. In 1931, the company debuted its very successful Rose Point etching, as well as the popular Nude Stems collection. Many of the company’s most famous colors were developed during this period, including “ Carmen,” “ Crown Tuscan,” “ Royal Blue,” and “ Heatherbloom.” Soon after the end of World War II, the company began to experience declining sales. In 1958, the company closed its doors, and Imperial Glass acquired all of Cambridge’s molds and equipment. While the Cambridge company is now closed, its legacy lives on at Replacements.
Produced from 1958 to 1997, Rose Elegance is a gorgeous sterling pattern by Lunt Silver. Rose Elegance features a beautiful rose design that adorns a handle with a scrolled edge. The floral design elements of Rose Elegance make it the perfect flatware accompaniment for the Delaware (New York) and Elaine-Clear patterns above. Lunt was founded as the A. F. Towle & Son Mfg. Co. in 1880 in Newburyport, MA. Towle and his son left the company and built a new factory in Newburyport under the name A.F. Towle & Son Company. After moving to Greenfield, MA, in 1890, the firm went into automobile manufacturing and produced one of the first “horseless carriages” in America. Lack of financing caused the endeavor to fail, and George C. Lunt, who had been apprenticed to Towle, established Rogers, Lunt & Bowlen Company in 1902. Since 1935, the company has used the trade name Lunt Silversmiths. The company’s Embassy Scroll pattern has been selected by the U.S. government as the official tableware for all U.S. consulates and embassies.