Victoria by Syracuse is rimmed, ivory china with delicate, beautifully rendered roses decorating the center and rim, and an embossed edge with gold trim. This lovely pattern was produced from 1949 to 1970. The story of Syracuse China begins in 1841, when W. H. Farrar founded a pottery in Syracuse, NY. The company was sold in 1868 and changed its name to Empire Pottery. The company changed hands again in 1871, when it was purchased by the Onondaga Pottery Company. The initial products manufactured by Onondaga were earthenware pieces, and the company produced a variety of table and toilet wares. In 1888, the company became the first American company to produce translucent, vitreous fine china on par with that being produced by Europe at the time. The company continued to expand and innovate throughout the early twentieth century, and found success supplying china to the hotel and restaurant industries. In 1966, the company officially changed its name to Syracuse China. In 1995, after a series of mergers and acquisitions, Syracuse China was sold to Libbey, Inc., which shut down all North American production of Syracuse in 2009. Today, Syracuse China pieces remain highly sought by collectors.
Nancy Prentiss Milburn Rose is a lovely blown glass pattern with a v-shaped bowl that flares at the top, molded stem, and round foot. The exquisite cut bowl features a gorgeous rose motif that perfectly complements the Victoria china and Spring Garden flatware featured here. This hand-blown, hand-cut leaded crystal is one of a series of patterns produced by Nancy Prentiss Crystal to match Westmorland sterling silver patterns (this one, of course, was designed to coordinate with the Westmorland Milburn Rose pattern). Other made-to-match Nancy Prentiss crystal patterns include George & Martha, John & Priscilla, Enchanting Orchid, and Lady Hilton.
International Silver Spring Garden is an alluring silverplate flatware pattern with a delicate and understated rose design. International Silver started as a combination of America’s greatest silver manufacturers. During the American Colonial period, New England was home to many artisans producing high-quality pewter, sterling, and silverplate, primarily in Connecticut. Around 1808, Ashbile Griswold opened a pewter shop in Meriden, Connecticut. Through mergers with regional companies, Griswold’s original shop grew to comprise fourteen silver manufacturers, including Holmes and Edwards (Bridgeport), Meriden Britannia (Meriden), and Rogers Brothers (Hartford). In 1898, the International Silver Company became truly “international,” establishing offices in England and Canada. Throughout the years, International Silver products have remained immensely popular.
To browse and order in a great selection of china, crystal, and silverplate pieces, start at these links!